When it comes to hiring the best HVAC technician, there are typically a lot of options in a local area, but what differentiates a good tech from a great one? Warner Service details what homeowners and business owners should look for in an expert to get the best in the business:
- They’re knowledgeable. A great HVAC technician should have vast knowledge on the basics of hot water heating, steam heating, air conditioning, water cooling, and other appliances. It is especially outstanding if they specialize in an area of expertise, like residential energy recovery ventilators.
They should also understand technical data, including specifications, schematics, ladder logic, and common building blueprints. Technical data also consists of applicable HVAC-related codes and licensing information, such as MASTER GAS FITTER, WSSC, VA MASTER HVAC, MD HVACR, and more.
- They’re familiar with equipment testing. If the technician is able to perform routine system testing using equipment, such as airflow meters, humidity recorders, voltmeters, and ohmmeters, you’re in good hands.
- The expert pays attention to detail. A great technician goes through the assigned procedure without skipping any steps to ensure that the job is carefully completed with the best possible solution. They should also be able to maintain accurate records of each visit, the work that was performed, and any equipment that was used.
- They have strong communication skills. Communication is key in any relationship, and the one between you and the local technician is no different. The HVAC expert should be able to communicate effectively with customers, supervisors, and fellow staff in a reliable manner. This is important in the case of scheduling conflicts, emergency visits, and maintenance agreement renewals.
- The technician has great time management skills. The expert should be able to effectively manage a schedule while remaining organized. Because they are typically dealing with multiple calls and visits a day, they should be able to efficiently finish each task in order to move on to the next without delay.
- The technician is aware of safety standards. A great technician is aware of the various safety hazards that are associated with the job as well as the best practices for preventing accidents. It’s best if the expert comes from a reputable company that requires their employees to go through continual technical training, so every expert remains current with the latest industry safety methods.
- They’re willing to work under (most) natural conditions. When an air conditioning unit on the roof of a three-story building needs repair, the technician will be climbing to fix it -- even in the rain or snow. Another situation might put them in a tight basement corner to fix a water heater, while a third circumstance could put them in sweltering conditions repairing refrigeration systems. A great technician should have a positive attitude throughout each job.
- They have excellent customer service skills. If your technician has excellent customer service skills, it makes the experience much easier for both parties. The tech should be able to explain what they’re doing to a customer without too much technical jargon, and they should be willing to patiently answer follow-up questions. Lastly, they should be comfortable making reasonable recommendations for HVAC repairs and replacements.
All in all, a great HVAC technician is communicative, timely, knowledgeable, and positive. Our experts at Warner Service have all of those characteristics, and go above and beyond to make sure that your home or business is taken care of like our own.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment today, click here. You can also subscribe to our weekly blog for helpful advice from our techs: